Tuesday, July 30, 2013

There's a Spider on my Shower Curtain

It's brown. About the size of a quarter. I'm pretty sure it's still there.

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with it at first... not until it started moving. It was on the outside of the curtain; I was perfectly safe inside the shower. I even leaned in close to get a better look. I wish I'd had a camera in there. The underside of a spider, that close, is a bit unreal. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I watched The Amazing Spider-man again last night, but I was more drawn in than scared.

Of course, I had to finish washing my hair, so I ignored it for a moment to lather in my conditioner. I closed my eyes for one second, and it disappeared! I was worried at first that it had fallen off the curtain onto the edge of the tub. I naturally assumed it must be planning to sneak behind the curtain and make a meal of my feet while I scream for help and beg him (or her... I'm not an expert on bug anatomy) to think of my family. In another few seconds, however, that fantasy was dismissed when I saw it once again, this time near the top of the curtain. It went up?! Did it? Or did it actually fall, and this is in fact just another spider coming to jump on my face, therefore putting me up against a double-sided attack of the arachnemeses?

Nah, it's the same spider. I finished shampooing pretty quickly. Even if it was the same spider, I'd rather be attacked at my feet than my face. My feet can always run away... or stomp. My face just screams... which honestly would just make it easier for the creature to torment me. It's like when I tell Nugget to stop licking me and he sticks his tongue in my mouth. You know?

I got out of the shower and rushed away to my room. I used to be that brave kid that would kill a bug if it looked me in the eye... at least, well... okay, maybe not. But I would kill a bug for my sister, if she asked. She's the one that gets scared. Not me!

Honestly, I don't know why I don't just kill it. Maybe I am afraid that if I mess with it, it'll fight back. Maybe I just don't like the idea of knocking a spider off the shower curtain onto the floor where it would have a much easier time of getting to my feet. Or maybe some small part of me just doesn't like killing things. I don't really mind sharing my bathroom with a spider, so long as it stays out of my way. And out of my bathrobe. I wouldn't go so far as to say that killing a spider is a sin; we kill all sorts of animals to eat and survive off of. I would try to kill a bear if it attacked me. Well, maybe. I'd probably just run away, actually, but you know, if I had awesome bear-killing skills, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

It's self-defense, right?

I guess maybe it's okay to kill a spider sometimes. It might be poisonous. Maybe it could bite me and kill me. Maybe it would cause me to start shooting webs out of my hands, and then I would just have way too much responsibility what with the world-saving and what-not that goes into that sort of thing. But maybe... you know... if it's not hurting anyone... why kill it? It's a bug. Their lives are short enough anyway. I'd rather not get involved.



Huh. Looks like he got away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment